(Note: This was done on Ubuntu 15.10, but should apply to other Linux distros as well)
I’m running a local WordPress installation for my personal diary, and I was looking for a way to automatically back up the database. On my WordPress sites that are online and hosted with my service provider, such as this one, I’m using a great plugin for the task, WP-DB-Backup by Austin Matzko. Works great and does exactly what it says. You can manually back up or have a regular backup sent to you per e-mail. For my local installation, however, this is not an option since I don’t want to install and configure a mail server as well. And even if I did, the file would still be in a local e-mail, which would make backing it up to Dropbox all the harder.
Some genius created a cross-platform “client” for WhatsApp on the desktop. It’s not actually a stand alone client, since WhatsApp doesn’t provide an open API. Rather, it’s a wrapper for WhatsApp Web, the company’s own web client. I had some problems getting it to work, though. There seems to be a user agent related problem. WhatsApp Web wants you to use mainstream browsers, apparently. The initial login worked, but after a restart, all I got was this:
Somebody else reported the same issue, and while there doesn’t seem to be an official fix yet, the workaround was posted in the comments. It works by deleting the cache. On Linux, this can be found under ~/.config/UnofficialWhatsApp/Application\ Cache. Removing this folder fixes the problem, and you’ll be able to log in again. It’s a hassle, though, having to do that every time before you start the client, so I wrote a little script called “whatsapp”:
I placed this in my ~/bin folder, then copied the desktop file from /opt/WhatsAppForDesktop/whatsappfordesktop.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications and edited it to point to ~/bin/whatsapp instead of the original location. For now this seems to be working.
We’re planning to do a promotion video for Alan, and we had some ideas that needed to be tested on the technical level. To find out if my latest idea for the project can be done with the means at our disposal, I created this little video of me singing with… me 😉 The quality isn’t that great, but that’s mostly because I worked with webm files as a basis and there were several conversion steps involved. I didn’t want to create a giant project just for a concept check. Enjoy!